CG: After placing 1st in the South West Region Overall at the CrossFit Open many people expected you to enter the master’s 40-44 yr division as an individual. What made you want to enter the CrossFit Games in team competition?
CD: Well they (the CrossFit Games organizers) didn’t officially announce that there was going to be a 40-44 yr master’s division until December 2012 and I had already been training team since September. We’ve really trained and sacrificed as a team so I wanted to make sure I saw it all the way through the games.
CG: Do you think you will compete in the 40-44 yr master’s division at next year’s games?
CD: I think that’s a real possibility. FRCF (Front Range CrossFit) has a really powerful development program, so I may step aside and let some of these younger athletes take their place on the team and get a shot at the games. This (the 2013 CrossFit Games) will be my 3rd time competing at the games on the FRCF team. If I can qualify for the games as an individual in the master’s division I should allow someone else who may not qualify as an individual have the opportunity to compete at the games on our team.
CG: Talk about FRCF’s team performance at regionals.
CD: Well, it was both good and bad. The good was how we really worked as a unit to complete the workouts. The bad is how we had our… rear ends handed to us by the Hack’s Pack UTE team.
CG: That’s something that I wanted to bring up, Hack’s Pack UTE had a clean sweep in team competition with 7 first place finishes during the South West Regionals. Are they FRCF’s biggest competition? Who else does FRCF have their eyes on?
CD: They are everyone’s biggest competition! They are definitely the team to beat this year. As far as other teams, there is CrossFit Invictus, CrossFit Fort Vancouver, CrossFit Dallas Central, CrossFit Diablo and CrossFit New England. Those teams along with FRCF are all stacked up, there is no clear 2nd best team to UTE.
CG: As a CrossFit athlete and fan, what are you most looking forward to seeing at the games?
CD: The two biggest things are #1 seeing Matt Hathcock getting his long overdue 1st appearance at the games. I think he has a real shot to win it. #2 This is going to be the first real year of the professional CrossFit athlete. What I mean by that is there are a number of athletes that by way of sponsors and winnings have been able to do nothing but train for this year’s games. I’m really curious to see how it plays out.
CG: What do you think the key factor or factors are for FRCF to podium at the games?
CD: Well #1 is the execution of transitions. It’s a really critical factor in the team competitions, one botched transition could mean a blown workout and one blown workout could cost you a shot at the podium. #2 is the pure luck of the draw, getting workouts that fall into what we’ve been training for. This is another huge factor. In all reality you could have great athletes, great teamwork, etc. and that accounts for about 85% of it. The other 15% is determined by the workouts falling in line with what your team has been training.
CG: With Annie Thorisdottir unable to compete at this year’s games who do you think will make a run at the title in the women’s individual division?
CD: The names that immediately come to mind are Sam (Samantha) Briggs, Camille Leblanc and Elisabeth Akinwale. I think they all have a great shot.
CG: Give us your predictions for Individual Male, Female and Team at the games.
CD: I like (Rich) Froning to repeat, Sam Briggs on the women’s side and FRCF of course for team!
CG: Now that you’ve given your predictions who are your dark horses at the games?
CD: That’s a good question! I’d have to go with Matt Hathcock in the men’s division, Jen Jones for the women’s division and CrossFit Mayhem for team. Those are my dark horses.
CG: Is there anything about the games that you know so far that has come as a surprise?
CD: Well, the fact that the games are being conducted in a huge soccer stadium adds a new dimension for workouts. It opens things up for walls, sprints, cargo nets, etc. This was announced about a month ago so it will be interesting to see what the workouts will be and how the field plays into the workouts. I’m looking forward to it all though!