One of the things you’ll notice as you begin CrossFit is the insanely huge selection of gear and apparel. If you’re just getting started, what you have will do. However, if you’re an athlete or aspiring athlete, then we recommend selecting better workout gear.
In the elite level of competition, the athletes are equipped with the best that they can afford. The ordinary shorts and basic running shoes won’t cut it at this point because every second will spell victory or defeat.
If a pair of shoes is slightly uncomfortable and you wince a little every time you take a step or you need to adjust your shorts a little every time you make a big movement, you’re no longer giving 100% of your attention to the game. The best CrossFit apparel are comfortable and gets out of the way, allowing you to give the WOD your all.
Here’s what you need to look for when looking for the right CrossFit apparel:
- Stretch that allows unimpeded movement. Your legs need to move freely. The shorts you’re wearing need to feel as if you are just gliding though the movements and stretch as you perform bodyweight movements as well as barbell movements. Materials that stretch also prevent your shorts from tearing up at the worst possible moments.
- Moisture winking for sweat management. CrossFit is a tough sport. You’ll be sweating a lot. Absorbent material will cause your clothes to feel heavy, and thus will affect how you go about your workout.
- Secure closure system that stays in place. This may sound funny, but when you do explosive movements like the clean and jerk, un-secure clothing makes these movements feel awkward and in some situations, make your shorts fall off. You also don’t want to have to adjust it in the middle of the workout especially if you’re competing.
- No ties/laces, belts that get in the way of bar movements. This can be dangerous. If your shorts have any of these, these are not good workout shorts.
- Rugged but high-quality materials. CrossFit movements are known to be punishing for the athlete. What people don’t realize is it can also be punishing for the apparel. Poor quality can appear to be good at first until you have to spend more time replacing them.
In summary: Does the right performance apparel matter?
Yes, especially if you’re competing. A good collection of shirts, shorts and shoes are a good investment for a better CrossFit experience. That said, you don’t need to toss out your current gear. You can simply upgrade gradually as you grow in your fitness journey.
Good quality input yields good quality output.
If you have any questions, feel free to send us a message or start a discussion in the comments below. Check out our shop for carefully selected CrossFit apparel that we use ourselves and we’re pretty sure, you’ll enjoy as well.